Senior Design Manager (Interior Design)Needham, Massachusetts Apply Now
Senior Design Manager (Interior Design)
Senior Design Manager
Boston, MA or St. Louis, MO
Panera is recognized as a leader in the development of digital interaction/integration, for its 100% clean food initiative, and for its passionate and loyal guests. Today, with over 2000 cafes in the US, we are bringing this same level of innovative thinking to the development of the next generation caf design. As a result, our need to elevate design to the highest level has never been greater. To support these efforts, we are on the hunt for experienced and highly creative designers and design leaders who have a passion and talent for great design to join our in-house design studio.
With a broad mandate to push the design envelope, our studio-based designers will have a unique opportunity to participate in the building of a world-class design organization. The ideal Panera designer is a highly creative and effective professional with broad residential, retail, restaurant and hospitality design experience, has a passion for all things design and is able to work effectively as part of a collaborative team to execute projects to the highest brand standards.
Overview - what you need to know
We are looking for an experienced and talented designer and design leader to join the Boston design studio, with experience working in and leading small, high caliber creative teams. The Sr Design Manager (SDM) will report directly to the studio Design Director and, as an integral part of broader development team, will design and deliver thoughtful and highly creative design solutions that elevate the brand while accommodating business considerations, functional goals and our typical aggressive timelines. Additionally, as a leader in the design studio, the SDM will assist the Design Director by leading small project teams as needed to design to execute multiple caf projects.
Responsible for the design and overall look/feel of new and remodeled Company and Franchise cafs and to create thoughtful and highly creative regional caf designs that align with current design criteria (strategies) and Paneras high quality brand standards.
- Help build a strong creative studio culture that encourages open discourse, collaboration and critical thinking. Has a passion for all things design that includes an understanding of history and current trends in design, furniture and fashion, etc.
- Leverage on-the-boards experience to provide focused creative direction and feedback that consistently drives and elevates design. Effectively address talent gaps and troubleshoot when needed.
- Promote a successful attitude, confidence in leadership, and collaboration with a focus on elevating design while achieving business results.
- Provide clear, effective and timely communication of design direction to designers and consultants and, as needed, identify issues/conflicts and propose design solutions to resolve outstanding concerns.
- Support the Design Director in elevating the level of existing design talent in the organization. Establish and sustain expectations for designer caliber (design and leadership capabilities) for existing and new associates at all levels in the organization.
- Regularly evaluate designer performance, identify high performing associates for development and promotion, and provide clear feedback, as necessary, to team members that do not meet expectations.
- Continuously set a high bar for design talent, understand and clearly articulate expectations to project team and provide effective and timely direction and feedback on performance and project work.
- Understand, identify and clearly communicate key responsibilities, best practices and expectations to ensure the success of the immediate team of direct reports.
- Challenge and inspire teams and provide timely coaching, feedback, leadership support and developmental opportunities in order to achieve design and business results. Conduct and ensure the completion of performance reviews.
- Directly responsible for the functional layout, schematic design, and furniture/material/finish palettes for Company and Franchise new and remodeled cafes, and other brands/concepts as may be identified over time.
- Participate in and/or bring projects into regular open-forum style design reviews as well as offline review as needed. Give and/or respond to design direction, coaching and guidance so that the projects meet Paneras high quality brand standards.
- Responsible for the quality, execution and timely deliverable of design development and construction drawings by Paneras outside Architectural firms. Ensure all scope of work, design intent and federal, state and municipality code requirements are met on drawings.
- Work with Franchise partners to ensure that Panera design intent is executed to the highest standards and in coordination with their outside Architects design development, and construction documents.
- Support Paneras cross-functional team goals (Company and Franchise operations, ops services, real estate, construction) in order to:
- Deliver effective store layouts that meet functional and business needs.
- Provide effective collaboration and communication with broader store development team so that projects meet internal project timelines and construction budgets, hit annual new store and remodel project counts and achieve sales weeks goals.
- Monitor the work quality of the external architect consultants to ensure they deliver high quality construction documents that comply with architectural and quality standards, building codes and health and safety regulations, on time and on budget.
Summary of Experience
- 7+ years of broad experience, including design, detailing and preparation of construction documents, in high end single-family Residential, Restaurant/Hospitality and Retail preferred.
- 5+ years of design experience in a restaurant or retail brand.
- 5+ years management of outside architectural, MEP and/or other design consultants.
- Professional degree in Architecture, Interior Design and/or a related field of study.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Current working knowledge and experience with:
- 3D visualization (hand sketching/CAD programs, etc.)
- Working knowledge of design and color principles, architectural detailing and specifications.
- Current knowledge of relevant professional building codes, health codes and compliance issues.
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, highly organized and detail oriented.
- Self-starter with ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Strong work ethic and professional attitude with ability to thrive in a fluid, fast-moving, high pressure and constantly changing business environment.
- Ability to manage multiple project timelines and schedules simultaneously and work with little supervision to produce high quality work on strict timelines.
- Excellent computer skills and proficiency required. Prefer experience with ACAD/Revit and Google Sketch-up.
Needham Support Center
External Reference Code JR0013857 Company Name 100 Panera, LLC